Friday, February 13, 2009

Reading is FUNdamental

So I have been using a book swap site for a while now. It seemed risky at first after hearing some horror stories about other swapping sites out there so I have been leery of posting anything until I knew how I personally felt about it.

Well the verdict is in. I LOVE IT!


Paperbackswap.com allows you to join & post any books that you are comfortable getting rid of. Other members can view them & contact you if they would like your book. When they request it, you mail it out & after they confirm that they have received it, you get a credit. The credit allows you to request a book from another member, where they pay to send you the book.

You can read practically any book you want for the cost of shipping out your book. All the books are in great condition (there are rules like no missing pages, no water damage, etc.). You can even chose to only see paperbacks if you want. Otherwise you can browse various books that may be paperback, hard back or even CD/cassette audio books.

They have another branch that allows you to swap music CDs & movies as well.


I have swapped quite a few books there, none of which I have completely read yet, but I have plenty to read when I am ready!

I only had one experience where it seemed that the book wasn't
coming. Not sure if it was lost in the mail or if the person didn't send it when they said they did (you have a certain time frame to respond by). In the end I ended up getting the book as requested, so no harm. If I hadn't then I would have gotten a credit returned.

In these times where money is in short supply & it makes no sense to just have books laying around unread, this site is a blessing.


Its cheaper than buying books in a store. Usually a paperback cost under $3 to mail! They make it easy by giving you a label to print out with the addresses & even postage if you choose already on it! You just print the label & wrap the book in it making sure not to get any tape touching the a
ctual book. You have the option of depositing money in to an account to pay for postage. The you don't even have to go to the post office, just place it in your mail box to send it off.

Also isn't it better to reread books rather than having one printed for each of us on this planet? The trees will su
rely appreciate it. Share the knowledge & gain some more.

So I advise you to check out Paperbackswap.com. Get rid of those dust collectors & bring in some fresh information for you to devour on a rainy day. They have all types of books, non-fiction & fiction, so explore away. More books are added daily. Can you add yours? I might want them ;)

& parents... they even have kids books! You can get rid of the ones they no longer read & restock their shelves with new ones for much less cost that visiting the book store.

3 comments:

Wendy said...

My dad goes through books like crazy, especially now that he's retired. I've been trying to get him to go to that site for a while now, but no luck. Maybe I should take his used books and get some new ones for myself!

MoonGoddess said...

Sounds like a plan.

If he isn't using them anymore, what good are they doing? Seems to make sense to turn them into something new.

Wendy said...

You'd think. Maybe he's saving them to start building things out of them.

Oh, and now I've gotten to level 7 on Bubble Spinner...