Saturday, January 17, 2009

Serious Eating,... I'm hungry.

Lately I have been inspired to check out new recipes & dream of making them. Yeah I actually need to stop dreaming & start trying them, but at the moment I am enjoying dreaming of what they would be like (which frankly is better caloric-wise for me at the moment!). Part of this comes from reading my friend's blog & seeing all the delicious pictures of the recipes she attempts successfully as she transitions from typical southern cooking to delicious gluten free (which might sound like a strange statement - delicious AND gluten free??? How the heck does that happen? - but she achieves it all with a grace & style that is simply divine.) So if you want to stimulate your appetite check out Gluten Hates Me but I'm Surviving. Plus I have to highly recommend the New Year's Eve martini recipes! I can say first hand those were absolutely wonderful, especially followed by a few watertinis (water in the fancy martini glass always just seems more decadent!).

Another site I found that makes me drool & almost get my butt up to go cook something, is Serious Eats. Just found it today & am enjoying seeing all the pictures & recipes. Along with the typical recipes & pictures you would expect to find, there is a ton of other food related information.

For now, I'm thinking this will have to be on the menu sometime soon!
Basil Chicken Pasta

- serves 3 or 4 -

Adapted from All Recipes.

Ingredients

8 ounces (1/2 package) pasta
2 teaspoons olive oil
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1 clove garlic, chopped
1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes
1 teaspoon sugar
2 cups boneless chicken breast halves, cooked and cubed
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese

Procedure

1. In a large pot of salted boiling water, cook pasta until it is al dente, about 8 to 10 minutes. Drain, and set aside.

2. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Saute the onions and garlic. Stir in the tomatoes, sugar, chicken, basil, salt and hot pepper sauce. Reduce heat to medium, and cover skillet. Simmer for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until mixture is hot and tomatoes are soft.

3. Toss sauce with hot cooked angel hair pasta to coat. Serve with Parmesan cheese

No comments: